- Coordinator: Francesco Terranova (University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy)
- Co-Coordinator: Andrea Longhin (INFN-Padova, Italy)
- Team membership
The Work Package is in charge of defining the neutrino physics programme to be delivered at the ESS during the construction of the neutrino facility and before the delivery of the accumulator. Thanks to the unprecedented power of the ESS linac, a small fraction of it (<10%) provides a powerful neutrino beam for the study of cross-section in the sub-GeV region. This region is nearly unexplored and corresponds to the region of interest for future long-baseline experiment like HyperKamiokande and ESSnuSB. WP6 exploits this opportunity to design a monitored neutrino beam leveraging the existing ESS linac and, in particular, it:
- Defines the neutrino physics programme to be delivered at the ESS during the construction of the accumulator;
- Designs the extraction line of the protons from the linac to the target station, and the secondary focusing system for the monitored neutrino beam;
- Designs the instrumented decay tunnel;
- Computes the final neutrino yield and the expected systematic uncertainties on the flux.